Dr Mateen Durrani - MBBS, DPM, MSc, BCPsych
Dr Mateen Durrani is on the specialist register of the GMC (3517617) and is accredited as a general adult psychiatrist by the Royal College of Psychiatrists. After completing his basic training in psychiatry, he has been working as a consultant Psychiatrist since 1995, initially in the NHS and since 2011 in the independent sector. He joined UKAT in 2014 and is now the UKAT Group Medical Advisor and consultant psychiatrist at our Sanctuary Lodge treatment centre. With Masters’ in Clinical and Public Health Aspects of Addiction from the Institute of Psychiatry, University of London, his work and expertise focuses on helping people with various addictions achieve sobriety and a stable recovery through the process of recovery.
Dr Durrani’s interest lies deep within field of psychiatry. From his basic and later specialist training in Psychiatry to his work as a consultant and clinical/medical director for the NHS and Independent sector and ultimately, UKAT – he has devoted his entire professional life to improving the services and mental health of patients, help individuals have a better understanding of their addictive behaviour and empower them to achieve an improved quality of social and professional life.
For Dr Durrani, it’s important to help the community overcome the stigmas and accept those with mental health problems and addictive behaviour, while also creating more opportunities for therapeutic experiences.
While working with UKAT since 2014, Dr Durrani has helped Sanctuary Lodge support thousands of people suffering from alcoholism and drug addiction, as well as from behavioural addictions. His leadership and experience in managing individuals with addictive behaviours, both within the NHS and the Independent sector, devotion, concentration and desire to always achieve more and improve, have led us to become one of the top addiction treatment providers in the UK.
- MBBS University of Karachi 1981
- DPM Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ireland 1992
- Board Certificate in Psychiatry Institute of Psychiatry, University of London 1994
- MSc Addictive behaviour Institute of Psychiatry, University of London 1999
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary Diaspora Committee Royal College of Psychiatrists 2014 to 2021
- Chairman British Pakistani Psychiatrists Association 2012 to 2016 and currently its Trustee since 2018.
- Dr. Durrani is on the panel of all major private health insurance companies in the UK
Details of entry to specialist register:
- General Adult Psychiatry , 2007
- Trustee for Indus Health Network (UK) which provides free secondary and tertiary healthcare across Pakistan along with primary care facilities in 52 districts, providing an excellence driven, comprehensive, free of charge healthcare accessible to all.
- Trustee AAS (Alleviation of addiction suffering) Trust, providing treatment and rehabilitation for street children suffering from substance abuse.
- Trustee British Pakistani Psychiatrists Association
- English - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
- Sindhi - Conversational
Courses offered to GPs
- Common mental health conditions
- Mental health conditions in patients with learning disability
- Psychiatry of Substance misuse